In the era of the internet, where just about everything can be ordered online, one of the many questions I am asked by clients is “Can I use you online?”
The answer is “Yes.”
While a life coach should be personal and besides you physically, if you have issues such as location, you can have a life coach help you with online. It all depends on what you want, and which life coach you pick. Some life coaches will only work physically, on site, others will enjoy a virtual relationship. There are also tools for bringing the life coach into your homes, such as webcams and mobile devices. So, while a life coach might not be beside you physically, they can be beside you virtually. At the end of the day, it is the emotional attachment that will decide how successful the life coach is from a distance.
Virtual life coaching will work for those that don’t lie to themselves and their coach.
For instance, if dealing with dietary issues, telling your weight and maintaining your diet are things that only a client can do with themselves. A life coach is not needed to be by your side when you weigh yourself or when you prepare food or eat food. The same goes for how you manage your home budget and how you handle your children. A life coach is not going to mollycoddle you. Your life coach is going to coach you, goad you, push you and comfort you to succeed. These are all non-physical actions, and if you are comfortable with a virtual coach, then you will succeed. Not everyone can handle a virtual coach, so it is really a decision that has to be reached together.
Virtual coaching is not new, there are virtual coaches for fitness and education, while university studies can be performed online, and the common thread that binds them a together is the client or students desire to succeed.
There are many methods for online coaching, and they include a plethora of technologies and techniques.
- Apps for tracking your status.
- Webcams for video chats.
- Messaging services for transfer of photos, videos, files and text messages.
- Interactive websites for multi-tasking training sessions.
These are just a few of the possibilities that can be used to enable a good online coaching session. What you need to consider are the following actions and attributes:
- Can you maintain a steady presence online?
- Can you meet schedules and time frames?
- Are you willing and able to maintain a long-term commitment to success?
- Even when tired, angry and upset, will maintain the online dialog?
- Will you be truthful about all facts?
These are the five basics that you need to answer yes to, if you answer no to any one of them then you are not suitable for an online coaching session. The five basic principles for successful online coaching are not there by chance; each one covers a specific area of importance.
A steady presence means that you can commit to online meetings that last at least an hour. Meeting time frames and schedules means you never delay for whatever reason an online session, and if you do intend to miss one, you communicate why. (Which leads to no.5)
- Can you go the whole course, don’t start a session if you intend to fall out halfway down the line?
- Sometimes we get angry, upset and tired during sessions when you are together in real life it is hard to shut off, and in many cases, the coach will create an atmosphere of warmth and trust that breaks the negative situation.
- This is harder to do online, so you have to be prepared to be patient.
- If you are going to hide a fact, lie or not tell the whole truth, don’t take a coach online, and if you do need one in real life, get ready for a bumpy ride.